Well by now you know: I really love books (huge surprise, right?). I am also passionate about the environment and attending college to earn my Masters in Biology. I realized earlier this week that Earth Day was fast approaching, and I wondered: was there any way to combine these two passions of mine?
Thus, I decided to release a list of 25 books revolving around the environment. I hope this list contains books that interest people and reminds them to celebrate and take care of the planet we live on everyday, not just one day a year.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Animals and Endangered Species
- Wolf Nation: The Life, Death, and Return of Wild American Wolves by Brenda Peterson
- Return of the Sea Otter:The Story of the Animal that Evaded Extinction on the Pacific Coast by Todd McLeish
- The Forgotten Pollinators by Stephen L. Buchmann and Gary Paul Nabhan
- Never Cry Wolf: Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves by Farley Mowat
- Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World’s Coasts and Beneath the Seas by Carl Safina
- In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau
- Visionary Women: How Rachel Carson, Jane Jacobs, Jane Goodall, and Alice Waters Changed Our World by Andrea Barnet
Climate Change and Taking Care of the Earth
- A Hole in the Wind: A Climate Scientist’s Bicycle Journey Across the United States by David Goodrich
- River of Lost Souls: The Science, Politics, and Greed Behind the Gold Mine King Disaster by Jonathan P. Thompson
- The Ten Trusts: What We Must Do to Care of the Animals We Love by Jane Goodall and Marc Bekoff
- The Diversity of Life (Questions of Science) by Edward O. Wilson
- The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction by David Quammen
Human Plant Relations
- The Songs of Trees: Stories from Nature’s Great Connectors by David George Haskell
- Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall, Gary McAvoy and Gail Hudson
- The Botany of Desire: A Plant’s Eye view of the World by Michael Pollan
- Seeds of Hope: Wisdom and Wonder from the World of Plants by Jane Goodall
Miscellaneous (fiction, poems, and stories)
- Hidden City: Poems of Urban Wildlife by Sarah Tuttle and Amy Schimler-Safford
- In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
- The City Where We Once Lived by Eric Barnes
- The Wild Birds by Emily Strelow
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
- A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
Happy Earth day everyone! I’d love to hear from anyone who has read these books or has any other recommendations.